Door-to-Door Sales - Solicitation
A person or business selling or offering to sell new merchandise to the public on temporary premises and does not have a permanent location is considered a solicitor. Prior to the event date, a solicitor is required to obtain a permit from the City Recorder’s Office to conduct business in Gallatin.
- Any person, firm or corporation who goes from dwelling to dwelling, business to business, place to place, or street to street, taking or attempting to take orders for any goods, wares or merchandise, or personal property of any nature for future delivery, within the City of Gallatin is required to obtain a Peddling/Solicitation Permit. One permit is required per individual in each organization.
- Canvassers who are going door-to-door with the sole purpose of distributing information are not required to obtain a Peddling/Solicitation Permit; however, without a permit they are not allowed to solicit for donations at any time.
- The permit does not provide permission to solicit where notice of No Solicitation or No Trespass has been provided by the property owner. This also applies to canvassing organizations not required to receive a permit.
- There is a $50 application fee for a Peddling/Solicitation Permit. This must be paid in cash.
- The application fee is waived for charitable, nonprofit, or religious solicitation, with proof of nonprofit status pursuant to Internal Revenue Code §501(C)(3).
- Proof of nonprofit status for fee waiver, if applicable.
- Copy of current, valid driver’s license and other current, valid, government-issued identification that includes your picture.
- Timeline of solicitation and areas of town you will be working.
- Complete the Peddler/Solicitor Application with notarized signature and return to the City Recorder’s Office with $50 application fee.
- Complete the Charitable Solicitor Application and return to the City Recorder's Office with proof of nonprofit status.